Thursday, March 27, 2008

finding some, if not all, things new



In a recent entry to Mind Sieve (and I'm sorry I don't know how to make that a link right this minute,)Sunrise Sister challenged us to try new things. Her most wonderful example was taking surfboarding lessons at the Royal Academy in Hawaii.

I like the idea, even though I am doing it on a much smaller scale. Today, for instance, I took a new road between housecalls, hunting for an unimpaired view of the new snow on the Blue Mountains. I also tried a new 2 calorie drink called Cascadia, very delicious. And played a new CD that our medical director made of "happy" music. It included The Elephant Walk, Day-O, and Brown Eyed Girl, among many other singable tune. The interesting thing about it was that it was not only happy, it was energizing too.

What new things might add some joy to your day?

What music makes you happy?

P.S. Almost forgot: the very best first thing ever I did today was call and get a repairman to fix my refrigerator without any waiting. He came right over and did it while I was at work. All I did was leave the door unlocked. Wow!

7 comments:

Ted Marshall said...

What music makes me happy? Oh, lots of things, but mostly old songs from the 60s I know all the words to and can dance to. Very annoying for anyone near me, but so great!

Wren said...

Absolutely! Fortunately there are plenty of us around who know those words. I'd put I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am in my selection, and Country Roads.

Stacey Olson said...

Almost all music makes me happy.:)
Fabulous photo at the top of your blog. Where did you take it? I too map my life by the same timeline you mentioned. Funny how us moms do that isn't it..

Wren said...

It's the Walla Walla river in Eastern Oregon looking back to the Blue Mountains. Today, with more snow, the river's a lot fuller.

Thanks for coming by!

Wren said...

Oops, sorry. Wrong picture.

Owyhee Crack

The picture at the top of the blog is one I took from our little plane on the way back from Oxnard, California, last summer. I was looking through my photos, hunting for a winding road, when I found it. It amazes me how much twisting and turning a riverbed takes, even when it's at the bottom of a steep canyon, as is this one from the south of Oregon.

Dianna Woolley said...

I find that as of late, I take blogger suggestions for tunes they are enjoying and often I find I like them too. I seldom buy a full album of someone but will go to ITunes, check out the artist and then see which songs are the most popular, preview those....latest I've downloaded are a couple of songs from the movie "Once" and a couple of Colbie Callait(?) tunes.

And of course, I love the 60's music - could sing those in my sleep, they are so familiar.

Music themes I also love are those songs I heard as a young child from my parents' tunes - the Glen Miller music, etc.

Wow, I'm chatty today!

Dianna Woolley said...

P.S. love the photo, "our" scenery is so calming to my whole mind and body - thanks for the taking the time to soothe your soul in the same way and share it!

The Winding Mind