Monday, March 31, 2008

angel of narcissus




The Angel of Narcissus

I strike a pose,
so high above you all,
so wise and stern,
and all who see me crane and yearn
to view the words I write.
“Is my name on your list?”
you wonder, your uneasiness
creating flurries in the air
around my stony soul.

The stone mason’s chisel
does my fair proportions justice,
but he carefully omits
what flows from my pen:
buy milk, suntan lotion,
start the laundry,
mail the rent check,
put out cat,
pick up Jean at 3.


This statue of an angel, in the cemetery in Framingham, Massachusetts where Christine's mother is buried, is the prompt for the Invitation to Poetry from Abbey of the Arts.

3 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

Great shot, love the way it is silohetted in the sky, Beautiful poem too..

ENSŌ said...

Wandered over from Abbeyofthe arts. Greatly enjoyed seeing a "to do list" in your Book of Life. Warm, wonderful poem!

~kigen

Dianna Woolley said...

Loved the book of life poem - I didn't participate this week but my mind also immediately went to the "to do" list when I viewed the week's challenge:)

The Winding Mind