Monday, November 10, 2008

long time gone





It seems as if years have gone by since I last wrote here. A lot of things have happened, and I'm feeling old and don't know where to start. Not that it's really necessary to catch you up on my life, but I feel the need.

The first picture is a good one for me. We buried our dog Seamus there in early July, and spread wildflower seeds on his grave. As late as it was in the summer, I didn't know if it would bloom at all, but it has, and still is blooming despite the cold. That's a wonderful sign of hope for me.

Late in August I found the dog in the second picture at the Humane Society. They had her labled as a male Wheaten Terrier, about three years old. When one of my co-workers was admiring her the next day, she remarked that the dog is a female. Oops. And when we took her to the vet to be spayed, he said she was probably about a year and some kind of terrier mix. Bill calls her a "wired hair terrier," because she is very lively.

A woman in the waiting room at the vet's told me she has a terrier too, and that as much as she loves the dog, she wouldn't wish a terrier on her worst enemy. With that propitious beginning, we quickly learned that our lives would change.

"Her name is Lola, she is a dancer...." And that she is. Also a racer, a tugger, a leaper, a fetcher and a stasher. I have thrown the ball or the squeaky pork chop two dozen times before I can get both legs into my pants, and even then I need to make sure she hasn't dropped it down my seat. There's nothing like having a squeaky pork chop fall out of your pants leg as you walk through the office door!

Just as we were beginning to get used to this bombshell in our life, another one dropped, only this one was a bad one. My daughter went to the clinic during the first week of school, thinking she had a sinus infection. She had a brain tumor, a large one, and her surgery was September 11. It could not all be removed without significant damage, but it is a slow growing one and we hope for the best. She's made it through her first series of oral chemo and is planning to go back to work part time on Wednesday.

So, that's what I've been doing. One of these days I'll redesign this page. I think that's one thing that's kept me away, not liking the look of it any more and not having any good ideas for a change and the energy to do it. I do miss it though, both the writing and the reading of others' blogs. So here's a start.

3 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

And an excellent start it is!! So glad to see your words on paper - good for and for you too:)

The pictures you shared are very special to me too as I know what they represent as major moments in your life this year.

Feeling old can certainly be brought on by just one, never mind so many, major issues in one's life. Of course, you must tell other people that all of the time but it's so hard to listen to our own voices telling us our needs and what's dragging us down.....that's why "friends here" can feel free to give advice to you rather than to have to take it ourselves:)

The design of your site can certainly be on your to-do list but your words speak much louder than the "look" of your page - keep writing and using that gift of yours.

Now - thought for the day that I'm certainly taking with me - "move quickly and keep the pork chops out of your pants":)

xoxoxo

Kayce aka lucy said...

welcome back, wren. oh my, you have had your hands full, haven't you? i "met" lola when she wrote her love letter to riley. it sounds like she has lots of personality and methinks that trying to keep pork chops out of your pants may be a very creative way to stay young :-)

holding warm thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter. i am glad you followed your own "need to catch up" and shared it here.

warmly.

Brandie said...

I don't think I had seen a picture of Lola yet, or at least not for a while. She is so adorable!

Still wishing best of luck to your daughter. :)

The Winding Mind