Monday, October 22, 2007

Trying new things

A woman who I do not know well, but whom I admire greatly, gave me the address to her blog this weekend. Because her husband, some time ago, made a disparaging comment about people who blog, it surprised me that she was among them. I'm guessing she hadn't started it yet, because it wouldn't be like him to pooh-pooh any activity of hers. I thought she was going to ask for the name of my blog as well, but if she did, I missed it.

I began this blog over a year and a half ago, and didn't give it a fair chance. I had just started one at writing.com, a site which was very easy to navigate. My blog there is called Ten-Finger Exercises, because my intention was to practice writing every day. Two blogs were too many, and I hadn't figured out how to use this one yet. Still, I should say.

A blog is, by nature, not private. It feels that way though. I can't imagine anyone stumbling on either of mine by accident, but it could happen. My children read Ten-Finger Exercises fairly regularly, and I've learned which topics appeal to the rest of my readers, as well as which topics do not.

Most of the people who read it and leave comments are not religious; in fact, many are not even people who consider themselves to be spiritual. Nevertheless, they have become my friends. They live in several different countries, come from very different economic circumstances, and are a variety of ages, mostly younger than I am.

I'm taking up this long abandoned blog to try to go a little deeper into spirituality without losing my other audience. At least, I'll give it a try. I'm in the need for something new. I've recently joined a Renovare group, and I don't know if is for me or not. It's not all that hard to find others who want to be religious together, but not at all easy to find people who want to explore and dare to doubt. An old prayer of unknown origin came to my mind in the past few weeks: Give me a doubt to doubt my doubt. I don't say it all the time, but occasionally it fits.

I don't know if anybody will find this blog unless I give them the address. So, if you've wandered here on your own, or especially if you've come hunting for me, please let me know. Otherwise, it's as if I've left a message in a bottle and tossed it into the waves.

Did anybody find the bottle? Was the message legible?

Is anybody out there?

No comments:

The Winding Mind